We have collected a number of blogs, books and magazines below that have been influential to our thinking and the way we operate. The must-reads are essential and highly recommended even – or especially – if you disagree with our views.
- Signal vs. Noise, a weblog by 37signals about design, business, experience, simplicity, the web, culture, and more
- Steve Sammartino writes the Start Up Blog and has a great approach to business and strong entrepreneurial spirit
- Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and marketing guru and always a great read
- Paul Graham is an essayist and programmer who’s been involved with Viaweb, Yahoo, and Y Combinator
- 37signals: Getting Real – Discover the smarter, faster, easier way to build a successful web application (2006)
- Ricardo Semler: Maverick – The Success Story Behind the World’s Most Unusual Workplace (1993)
- Ricardo Semler: The Seven-Day Weekend – Changing the Way Work Works (2003)
- Seth Godin: Bootstrapper’s Bible (ebook)
- Seth Godin: The Dip – A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick) (2007)
- Jessica Livingston: Founders at Work – Stories of Startups’ Early Days (2008)
- Mark Hurst: Bit Literacy – Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload (2007)
- Alan Cooper: About Face 3 – The Essentials of Interaction Design (2007)
- Robert Hoekman Jr: Designing The Obvious – A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design (2006)
- Joel Spolsky rants about software development, management, business, and the Internet in Joel on Software
- Scott Berkun is an author and public speaker on topics ranging from project management to innovation
- Alan Cooper: The Inmates Are Running The Asylum (2004)
- Guy Kawasaki: The Art of the Start – The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything (2004), also available in free ebook version
- Richard Branson: Losing My Virginity – How I’ve Survived, Had Fun, and Made a Fortune Doing Business My Way (1999)
- Seth Godin: Meatball Sundae – Is Your Marketing out of Sync? (2007)
- David Maister: Strategy and the Fat Smoker – Doing What’s Obvious But Not Easy (2008)
- Donald Norman: Emotional Design – Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things (2005)
- Jef Raskin: The Humane Interface – New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems (2000)
- William Lidwell, Kritina Holden, Jill Butler: Universal Principles of Design (2003)
Recommended Magazines in Australia
- Smart Company: News, trends, blogs, tools & resources for small and medium business owners and managers.
- Australian Anthill: Magazine for entrepreneurs and business innovators
Some of the descriptions above have been adapted from various internet sources.
We will revise this list from time to time so please feel free to leave feedback.